The Zanesville Museum of Art
The museum was originally established in 1936 as the Zanesville Art Institute by Mr. and Mrs. Edward Ayers, founders of the Ayers Mineral Company of Zanesville. Passionate collectors, the Ayers donated their splendid collection of Old Master paintings, sculpture, prints, Zanesville glass, and ceramics to the Institute. They also funded a research library and they created a permanent endowment, which remains an important source of institutional support.
In 1975, the Institute relocated to its present location at 620 Military Road and became the Zanesville Art Center. In 1999, the Board of Directors initiated a Capital Campaign that transformed the Art Center creating additional space for education programs, exhibition galleries, and art storage. In Spring 2009, this institution became the Zanesville Museum of Art, recognizing the quality and size of the permanent collections and its significant role igniting human imagination through the visual arts in our community.